8.30.2005

A Sad Day

Not only because it's my last day at the Digital Lab, but because after 4 1/2 years of our fear of Nortel laying Alex off, it finally happened. That is, he got notice that it will happen "sometime" next month--how's that for news? "Yeah... we'll be laying you off, but how about you work for awhile in the meantime? And did you get the memo about the TPS Reports?"

So it's a time of tightening belts and folding hands in prayer. I am extremely thankful that upon calling Carmax, I was able to get our truck delivered back to the local store, and we should be able to pick it up tomorrow--so, hello again, baby truck! That's good, because I was incredibly scared and depressed that we'd sold our paid-off truck five days before getting laid off. I'm still disappointed, since we were going to buy a beautiful dark blue with white racing stripes 2005 F-150 with crew cab, four doors, electric seat, 5.4 engine, and the tow package... if this had only happened last month, before I'd had my heart set on it. But once again, God was faithful to provide us with a way back to our paid-off, usually dependable vehicle. May He bless it to run without fail for another 100,000 miles!

Particularly if I continue to work in Denton! Another thing up in the air; my application to the UNT Willis Library has been filed for three weeks now. I was prepared to settle for the remaining position, a Cataloging one, but was informed yesterday that the filled Humanities and Social Sciences position, the one I originally wanted, is open again. I've contacted the woman in charge and she responded that she would set up an interview with me soon. A ray of hope!

For several reasons, in fact. Alex's benefits cover us through December, but if I get a GLA (Graduate Library Assistantship) at Willis, then I can get benefits starting in January, even though I'll only be working 20 hours a week in that position. Plus, it would count as my six months of experience (in lieu of an unpaid internship) that I need to graduate in May.

This is in a way a mixed blessing. As I told Alex, we no longer have to wait for the other shoe to drop. For four and a half years, he's worked every day with the intense fear that he would be laid off. Since July, he's worked every single day, every single weekend. Now, that pressure is at least released, and I pray that in his next position, he will never face such chronic stress.

So, now we just need to get out Alex's resume to the four corners and get down on our knees.

2 comments:

Kodiak said...

Sorry to hear about the lay-off. Reminds me when I was laid off from JCPenney. I had been an associate less than 6 months, then at a big departmental meeting, the big boss man told us that 60% of our positions would be terminated. There was barely any workforce left. Luckily, they helped us get work quickly, and I, along with many of my co-workers, were brought back on as contractors, and I've been there ever since. I hope that something will come along for Alex. I know something will. You don't have to worry :)

Starrlett said...

Thanks, Kodiak! Kind words help.

We've both been pretty positive today. We're just glad that he's finally out of a stressful job, and that I've got a lead on a job with benefits. Thankfully, we're not in panic mode at all. :-)