8.01.2005

Purtiest Town That I've Ever Seen

(Tell me again: how did it get to be August already?)

On Thursday, I had a wonderful birthday evening with friends and shishkabobs. Alex showered me with more presents on Friday and then we left to go to Abilene for the weekend. I had a Board of Young Associates meeting at our alma mater, Hardin-Simmons. (Go, cowboys!) I had a great time catching up with old friends like my "mudbuddy" (sometimes you have to be an art major to understand these things) Kathryn, who is making me proud in her dream job at the Old Jail Art Center in Albany. I'm on the Student Recruiting Committee, which means we're trying to interest high school students in attending HSU. The meetings were fun and interesting, and I'm really excited about what my committee is attempting to accomplish.

...And in case my title seems a little obscure, it refers to the song about Abilene that plays in an infinite loop if you are put on hold while calling the Abilene Visitors & Convention Bureau. While at HSU, my roomie Martha worked there, and since I called her a lot, I heard this song... a... lot. It's now physically impossible for me to hear the word Abilene and not start humming--or, heaven forbid, singing--this song.

Alex got to hang out with our buddies James and Jared, our Abilene host, and discuss their destructive plans for the next fireworks display at New Year's. I had a great time hanging out at Jared's, as usual, although his fridge has something against me. I banged my head on its doorframe for the second time--causing minor swelling, a cut, and an annoying bruise. Alex says he's never known someone so short who so routinely bashes their skull into objects. I think it's because my eye-level is so low that I don't notice objects that are in easy eyesight for people or normal height--such as refrigerator doorframes, cabinet doors, and Assorted Items I Have Banged Into In My Garage (including, but not limited to, plastic tubs and metal piping).

And that's all the news from Starrlett!

No comments: