8.04.2005

It's Been A Quiet Week In Lake Wobegon

My new transcription soundtrack is Garrison Keillor's Prarie Home Companion (primarily the Lake Wobegon segments). A story I was listening to on This American Life, added with my recent itch to read, reminded me not only that I have several of Keillor's books on my shelf waiting to be read, but also that if I looked online, I might find the radio shows in streaming audio. The slow pace of the stories is less distracting than TAF, and thus I am actually transcribing slightly more quickly. It's very comforting and nostalgic--it reminds me of when those shows used to be broadcast on the television fifteen years ago, and my parents and I would sit in the living room, me sprawled on the carpet on my stomach, feet dangling in the air, and we'd watch this odd-looking man with the soft voice standing on this bare stage in St. Paul, telling stories that were funny and sad.

As you can tell, Lake Wobegon stories put me in a lyrical mood.

I was already feeling creative... I was cooking up story, painting, and sewing ideas when I came into work this morning, a mood inspired in part by my most recent Mary Englebreit magazine, and in part by a phone call I received yesterday for Snazzy Decor. A client I painted a mural for two years ago is moving, and wants the mural re-created in her new home. It seems interesting to revisit the same thing in a new place, and of course as usual, I am always excited to get paid to paint on someone's wall.

Last night, Alex and I spent a very pleasant evening with a woman from Hardin-Simmons, talking about scholarships and other alumni giving options. It was fun because Cheryl is a very fun person, but it was also so exciting to be actively involved in HSU again, just like last weekend's BYA activities. Last year, Alex and I both were feeling a bit homesick for HSU and wanting in some ways to return to Abilene, even though it's obviously not the same when you're not going to school and many of your friends have left. This is such an exciting way to not only be a part of HSU again, but to make a difference and give back something to a place that has meant so much to both of us.

I'm in danger of this becoming a long post again, so I'll quickly sign off!

No comments: