10.23.2005

Fall-ing

It's a perfect day for hot cocoa and my Yoda sweatshirt--blustery, cold, and rainy. This morning's errands would have been pure drudging misery alone, but luckily I got to do them with my best friend, so I enjoyed myself. Alex and I went to Walmart, Academy Sports, and Fry's Electronics before we drove home so that I could drive to Denton to work.

I still maintain that people who love Fall are crazy. Listen to the name, "Fall." Why is it called that? Because leaves fall. Why do they fall? Because they wither up and die, leaving the trees naked and alone. I'm surprised that more people don't find this fact incredibly depressing.

Then you have the fact that fall holidays and the dying-leaf colors inspire many women to festoon their house primarily with shades of orange and brown. Ugh--isn't brown the color of dirt? I don't get it.

I do admit to a female weakness for bringing out either the bright red Christmasy decorations or the blue/silver snowflake decor each winter (depending on my winter mood). But I was horrified to see in a catalog I picked up yesterday, not one but two different "Claus Commode" sets--Santa-Claus-festooned toilet seat covers and bathroom rugs. I can't immediately think of a more horrifying idea--unless this is like a road map for Santa to know which bathroom to use after he's engorged himself on milk and cookies.

I'm not negative today, I'm just cold. (Get used to it--I vascilate between sardonic and snuggly all winter, depending on how many cups of hot cocoa I've consumed at that point in time.)

No comments: