10.13.2005

Chitter-Chatter

My client consultation for Snazzy Decor went well today, so I've got another job lined up when I finish my current murals. That's in addition to another client who wants a consultation when I'm done, and a third person who was referred to me yesterday. All of them are referrals, either from this job, or from my June Undersea mural (which was actually a referral itself). The ubiquitous "They" really do know what they're talking about when they say that word-of-mouth is the best advertisement!

Yesterday while painting, Best Buy guys were installing theater equipment, and I was treated to about six different uses of the word "dude." I'm going to have to work with Amy to create a definitive list of all the inflections and meanings you can infuse this word with. If I wasn't so burned out on school, I'd write a farcical-yet-academically-sound article about the cultural connotations and evolution of this term.

I finally got the police report for the hit-and-run--they made me pay $4 for the pleasure of finding out that no, the other driver in fact did not have insurance, as we suspected all along. But my anger and frustration were immediately tempered when I saw that the other driver is 90 years old. Instead, I'm mad at his kids for not driving their dad around town, or for whoever is responsible for this poor guy without insurance. I'm sure he was scared to death that the little girl driving the huge truck was going to scream at him, and that he just panicked.

How can I feel this compassion and still feel so deeply angered--not for the accident itself or the lack of insurance, but that he drove off? I'm sure he could tell I was okay and that my vehicle was driveable, so was it that horrible of an offense? If I was old and broke, would I have run off? I know it sure would have crossed my mind, with the adrenaline pumping through my body.

I'm too conflicted. Let's talk about baseball. Both the NLCS and ALCS games ended badly for Alex and myself last night, since we are rooting for the Angels and the Astros. I can't even talk about the bad call in the Angels/Sox game last night--we all know what really happened.

No comments: