9.28.2005

Hit and Run

Some days you're just meant to stay in bed. Alex sprained his ankle Monday night playing raquetball, so Tuesday morning before work, I set him up with water, cold compress for his ankle (now the size of a grapefruit), and other supplies. I briefly thought about calling in sick, since he was going to have a heck of a time getting up each half hour to re-freeze the compress, but decided I really needed the hours.

It took me half an hour to get five miles across McKinney, as 380 was shut down due to a natural gas leak. I headed north on McDonald (Hwy 5), where I was rear-ended by an older driver in a large brown car. I pulled over at the next available place, driving slowly on the shoulder with my blinker on, the offending driver following me.



Until, that is, I pulled in, at which point he sped up and took off going north. Sigh. I called Alex, my insurance agent, and the police, who caught the guy a few miles up before checking out my report.


The truck got out of it a lot better than the old guy's Buick, but it looks like the frame is indeed bent. I am sure glad that the bumper on my truck is nice and hefty and took the brunt of the damage--the tailgate is pristine. The old guy's hood looked pretty smashed up as he whizzed past me--I think it was almost half crumpled. I should get the police report in five days, and then we'll know if the driver had insurance or if I have to pay my uninsured motorist deductable--lucky me.


By the time the police came, it was another hour later, and I just couldn't face driving another hour just to get to work, plus I was shaking like a palsy victim in a blizzard, and my back and neck were a little sore. So I went home and watched a few movies with Alex to relax--let me just say that Mom and Dad Save the World is one of the visually-coolest cheesy eighties' sci-fi movies. And lime popsicles and a bowl of cookies-n-cream go a long way to soothe frayed nerves and a sore ankle.

2 comments:

Kodiak said...

Mom and Dad Save the World!!!!

I WANT THAT DVD!!!!!

I want to see the fish people, see the dumb twin guards, see Mom and Dad save the world... see TODD!!!!


note to self: You COULD excercise!

p.s. I like the Mutton Chops!

Starrlett said...

ROFL! And here I thought no one would have seen it, heh heh. Yeah, that is some great, great stuff--I, too, like the mutton chops.