9.17.2005

Don't Panic

Alex and I spent Friday afternoon shopping for stein supplies, since the New Braunfels Art League asked us to each complete one before Wurstfest this November. Then we came home and watched...

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

We watched this movie last night, and as I suspected, I had mixed feelings about it. We're both big fans of the book, and I had heard beforehand that those who had not read the book loved the movie, and those who had were either a bit disappointed or a lot disappointed. Being prepared for this, I would say I was merely a bit disappointed.

The oddest thing to me is: why would anyone introduce a villan and then never use him in the climax? It seemed a pointless departure from the book, and it was confusing. When the movie ended, I wasn't prepared for that to be the end, because the climax felt, well, anti-climactic. And although I had been forewarned about the addition of romance between Arthur and Trillian, I still wasn't pleased.

But it was an entertaining movie, the Guide moments were great, and it actually re-used the theme from the radio dramas! That was sheer greatness. And any movie with a Henson puppet deserves snaps.

Zaphod's Second Head: D-
True-to-Book-ness: C
First Third of Movie: A-
Alan Rickman's Voice as Marvin: A
Animations and Narration for the Guide: A+
Use of Music Theme from Radio Version: A+
Puppet Vogons by Jim Henson Co.: A+

Final Take: um.... a B+?

Basically, now I'm just sitting here waiting for Serenity. (And you should be, too!)

No comments: