11.28.2005

Information is Blood

I remember when, for me, a personal crisis was: "What do I do without a book?" Now, it's: "What do I do without the internet?"

Granted, this is somewhat justified. I go to school online, I work online (even my face-to-face job requires the internet), I bank online, I shop online, I get the news online, I listen to the radio online, I keep up with friends and family online, and I even--get this--read for pleasure online.

Case in point: today during GLA training, the library's internet connection went down. So much for training; we were powerless. So we got to leave early: yay! But, wait--what can I do with 30 seconds to 3 hours without the internet? I know, I'll do some schoolwork--oh, wait. Oh, okay, I'll catch up on the blogs I read--oh, right. Well, I could balance my checkbook--darn it--research my term paper--arg--look up some books to buy--dangit!

I was much relieved upon coming upstairs to find that the 30 seconds had passed and my lifeline was running again. I think that the average 2000's 20-something can operate fine without water, food, or blood for upwards of a week, but 30 seconds without the internet is what kills.

No comments: