7.18.2005

Technicolor Dream Comix





Currently Reading

Understanding Comics
By Scott McCloud

Actually, I just finished this book today. It was really, really interesting--a combination of art history, philosophy, the origins of the written language, a look at western and eastern culture, printing processes, the role of expressive line and color... I could go on and on. My favorite, however, was its exploration of the amazing ways that comic creators can use the "gutter," the blank space between panels, to cause the reader's imagination to fill in "invisible" action--called closure. Very kewl.

The book's interesting take on the combination of images and text to communicate ideas reminded me a lot of another interesting book, one that my Dad gave me for Christmas several years back:


Envisioning Information
By Edward Tufte

If you are a visual person at all or interested in the visual communication of ideas, check these books out!



(Note: click on the titles in bolded green to find links with more information about each book.)

No comments: