5.27.2005

Can't Stop the Signal

(100% organic and spoiler-free)

Serenity.
Amazing.
Wow.


Now I will try to compose myself enough to write a blog post.

Trey Stokes: you wanted a movie with smugglers and spaceships, this is it. No rules, deep characters, and great lines. This is the movie we waited for.

To a beat the dead horse of a worn-out cliche, this movie blew me away. It was grainy and the color-timing wasn't properly balanced (oh, what words you learn at an advance screening), and apparently the soundtrack wasn't there for 75% of the movie--I wouldn't know, because my husband had to inform me afterward. I was too busy looking at all the pretties.

And about "can't stop the signal" itself, which had no meaning for me prior to the movie except "that Firefly-related website where we can find info on advance screenings," just know this. You will know. And in the meantime, it is a metaphor, and it means: go and tell your friends, because come September you will see box office records crumble as this non-star-driven movie amazes an entire nation of people used to formulaic films. This movie could fly on its own--but it won't have to, because everyone who has seen Firefly and now everyone who has seen Serenity will come out, impassioned by this story, and will bring their friends, and we will show everyone that this is the most successfully cancelled show, the most incredible movie--I can't even say so many good things about this movie that it would later come as a let-down to you. No disappointments here.

Let me clarify:
ROTS is great. It is the movie I waited for--years, then weeks in line. It did not disappoint.


Serenity is a different film altogether. It is the unasked-for gift--or rather, the gift we all desperately wanted after Firefly was torn from us in its genius infancy, but that we knew we would never receive. And miraculously, here it is, and it's something incredible that we couldn't have even imagined.

And I must say, I doubted. Not once the trailer was released--!!!--but when rumors circulated that Joss was re-visiting the earlier story to bring in an audience that had not watched the series. I thought, that's ridiculous. He can't re-tell the series in one movie, and it will be all boring re-hash, and we'll have to sit through short versions of key show scenes.

Do not doubt. Believe.
I know this resounds with those of you who have seen Serenity.)


Oh, and bring ten other friends with you to the theater in September, okay? It shouldn't be hard--show them the trailer, and if you're really a good friend, you'll kidnap them for an entire weekend--don't worry, you'll only have to convince them to watch the first episode, and then they'll watch the entire rest of the series on their own, that weekend. But those that you can't kidnap, bring to the theater anyway. They can watch the series while they wait for this movie to come to DVD--what, a freakin' year from now?!!

Sigh. Sometimes the incredible parts of life make the other parts--and the waiting parts--really suck.

Okay, that's it, who's lining up for the September showing?

5 comments:

Kodiak said...

Aside from catching tidbits of Firefly on DVD here and there during the Episode III lineup, I have never watched a full Firefly episode. I don't even know the characters' names. I have virtually no idea what the story is about. After seeing the Serenity trailer, I have, unfortunately, no desire to see the film. I will see it, just because everyone is raving so passionately for it, so I must see what all the hype is about. I have to say, though, the trailer downright SUCKS!! in my opinion. It had cheese written ALL over it! I hope the movie is as good as you say, because at this point I am extreeeeeeemely skeptical! Prove me wrong.... ;)

Starrlett said...

Hey, Kodiak...

Before I saw the series as a whole, I heard the concept of Firefly (old west meets sci-fi) and thought it sounded weird and dumb. I saw the first five minutes of an episode ("Train Job") and didn't get the humor, and thought it sounded dumb.

Five months later, I saw the pilot and then quickly watched all other episodes in a two-day period. I think you have to get into the universe to understand the humor and the pace of the show/movie, and particularly the characters, and their unusual personalities and depth (well, Mal's depth).

I can see how the humorous lines in the trailer might come across as cheesy if you didn't know the characters, particulary Mal. I hope that newbies watching the movie only can get immersed in the Firely 'verse enough in the beginning of the movie to appreciate it.

So yeah, give it a try--I'd recommend renting or borrowing the first disk of the series and watching the pilot at least, so that you can more fully appreciate the movie, but you can wait if you wish! :-)

Kodiak said...

Yes, I'd very much wish to borrow the DVDs from someone. If you watched them all so fast, then consider me intrigued!

The Jastrom said...

Everyone and I mean Everyone has seen this movie but me. And it hasn't even been released yet. Dang it.

Kodiak said...

Hey, Starr 8)

I know it's been a while since this post, but I am only just now getting into Firefly. I bought Serenity on DVD a few days ago, and didn't see it in the theater. As an almost complete outsider to the Firefly 'verse, I saw Serenity with almost no knowledge of what I would see. Having said that, I think people would like the movie much more if they had watched the Firefly series first. I found myself straining to catch what many characters said, not understanding what I was hearing, or what was going on. From that point of view, Serenity failed to draw me in. But, after it was over, I found that I really liked the humor, and the characters. I knew then that I would have to buy Firefly on DVD. Well, just as you did, I am speeding through the series with a relentless fervor that cannot be subdued. I am in love! The characters are perfect, the show is perfect. Now that I have become so affected by Firefly and Serenity, it truly pains me to know that it didn't do well at the box office. If only people knew just how good it is, they'd want to see it. They'd want more, just like all fans of Firefly do. We want to see the show continue. We want to follow the exploits of this quirky little crew-for-hire. We want to laugh along with all the funny goings on. We want to find out just what the Alliance did to poor River, and just who those men are, "two by two, hands of blue"...

All I know is that Firefly has flown its way into my heart and into a permanent place in my DVD collection. There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.

You can's stop THIS signal!