7.24.2007

Making a Wish

Would you like to see my laundry-list of excuses of why I'm too busy to blog much at the moment? Then click here. And add to that list a list of personal items, such as (but not included to):
  • reading my camera manual (again)
  • reading Fables vol. 9 (happy birthday me!)
  • preparing for the October trip to DC (yes, you have to reserve tours that early)
  • editing, processing, and uploading photos
  • keeping mi casa clean(ish)
  • waiting for Guitar Hero III on the Wii (oh wait, that's on Alex's list)
  • working a second job over the summer
  • writing creatively twice a week (woohoo!)
  • going out of town all the frelling time

The 29th Wish

So... short and sweet update, then.
This past weekend, we bought some stuff at Best Buy, including (finally) the last Farscape DVD volume. We also had my (early) b-day party with the Hoffman clan, at which I received a new flash for my new camera (yay!), some toys, a giftcard, and the above-mentioned Fables vol. 9. This joins my new stash of comics* that the boy bought me a few weeks ago at Recycled Books in Denton (aka Mecca of All Things Bookish). We also had some fantastic mother-in-law baked cake, and two of my three nephews astounded us with the sheer energy that is possible in a body under the age of six. Kind of a cruel reminder, this close to my actual 29th birthday, considering that my body's energy level is about a tenth of that. When I'm lucky.

This was illustrated when I went to blow out all 29 candles. I got about three done before I thought my old lungs would cause me to pass out--luckily those two nephews saved my wish from eternal non-fulfillment. And no, they weren't trick candles, and I'm not a smoker--just a sedentary old librarian. Hmph.

I've worked the past two Saturdays, so "weekend" has been a kind of loose concept, anyway. Hence even less time to get everything done, hence even less time to blog about all the stuff I'm doing. Ah, well.

I am really, really looking forward to spending this weekend in Abilene. Alex and I will be chairing BYA committees, sure, and that will take a bit more effort on our parts than usual--but it's Abilene and HSU and friends and my about-to-pop-she's-so-pregnant pal Kat, and our generous host Jared and staying up late to play games and talk geekery. That sounds very relaxing and fun.

*About those comics...
I can't find that I blogged about these yet, dangit. So here was the score:
  • Astro City, Vol. 1
  • Planetary, Vol. 1 (I've already borrowed and read 2 and 3 since then)
  • Marvel 1602 (hardback!!!)
  • Mary Jane vol. 1 (okay, so I'm a girl, and this proves it--just deal.)
  • Flight, Vols. 1, 2, and 3 (major score!!!)
To date, I've finished Astro City and Planetary (and--ahem--MJ), and am in the middle of Marvel 1602, which I am thoroughly enjoying, despite being less familiar with the Marvel uni than the DC universe. I'm trying to save Flight for a little, since it's short stories and I tend to devour those. So the top item on my wishlist, now that I've finished Fables 9, is the Fables stand-alone Jack book.

Once again, I'm running out of space on my comics shelf. I removed all the manga, and that helped--for about three weeks. And now, back to square one.

No comments: