4.13.2005

Master of Disguise

So, it's less than a week until CIII, and we're still completing costumes. Not that we like to cut it close or anything...

Alex's initial costume idea isn't ready, so we'll try to have it ready for DragonCon next year; until then, it's a secret! He's got two back-up costumes planned, to be revealed while we're in Indy--stay posted and I'll post some photos and fun info on his--hilarious--character.

My costume is no longer secret, as I'm so excited I keep blabbing about it (as evidenced by previous post). I'm working on my Pink Five X-wing helmet right now. We had to buy a medium-youth size football helmet ("not for use after ninth grade" says the warning sticker; do you think it's okay for a 26-year old to wear?). My head was too small for either the X-wing costume helmets or the actual fighter pilot helmets we found on Ebay (plus, yaknow, the used football helmet was 40 bucks cheaper!).

I've got to mold on the ear pieces, add the visor shield, paint it, and add the "Chicks Rule" sticker. And I've got a minor amount of work on the clothing, but nothing much. I couldn't find pink boots in time; I'll have to buy some next winter.

To understand how costume-crazy we are, for Celebration II three years ago, we spent two weeks sculpting a Saesee Tiin alien head for Alex. We bought actual ram horns online, made a metal frame for them, and used floam (that Nickelodeon-brand foam), canvas, latex, and paint to create the thing. It weighed something like ten pounds and gave Alex a huge headache, but with the face paint and Jedi robe, it was quite impressive. (I'll post photos for it when I get my other computer back on the network.)

Not that we're weird, or anything...

No comments: